Let’s talk wellness!
I hear this word and I just feel alive. It brings in a mental image of everything that’s good in life, a lovely meal, a smile from the heart, the feeling of warm sunlight against my skin.
It just feels right…
I want you to please focus on the word FEEL. Because wellness is not a product, it’s a state of being.
The problem with the health and wellness industry now is that everything is either ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ – eating, living, exercising, even our body shape is either ‘right’ or ‘wrong’!
We have strayed from the true meaning of wellbeing and got sucked into the whirlpool of who is better than who.
You go to a bookstore and you find shelves and shelves of diet books, self-help books, and lifestyle books all discussing a certain way of living, each providing a different meaning to what health is all about.
This concept deals with humans like they’re machines, one that is newly built, and therefore needs a different engineering system than the other machines which were built tens of years ago.
This is not true! The human species, like any other species, have a unique way of living that is their natural, God-given way. Please let me emphasize on the word natural. Because nothing is natural anymore! Starting from the way we eat to the way we think, to the way we live our day-to-day lives.
Let’s discuss this is in more detail…
- Humans were made to be social creatures, we live in tribes, we share love, we dance, and we protect and support each other. We are far from being social today, our phones are our best friends and our laptop screen is our daily companion.
- We were made to be hunters, to walk long distances, to run fast and to climb high. Humans nowadays spend an average of six hours a day of their time sitting down! do you know what that does to our bodies? it makes us more prone to have heart diseases, diabetes, and high blood pressure. It also affects our mood and decreases our energy levels drastically.
- We were made to eat fresh produce, one that is gathered from the ground, that is watered by fresh clean water, and that is cared for by high-quality air and sunlight. We now eat engineered fruits and vegetables that might have never seen sunlight, packaged goods (which are not good at all) and frozen foods which are loaded with all kinds of things we better be avoiding, take trans-fat and preservatives, as a small example.
- We were made to spend most of our time outdoors, under natural sunlight, absorbing all the Vitamin D we need, and to breathe clean fresh air, the kind of air that expands your lungs and makes you bounce with energy. Now, we spend 80 to 90% of our time indoors, away from any sort of direct sunlight. The air we breathe is manufactured A/C air that doesn’t quite cover our daily need for oxygen.
- We were made to have a fight or flight system. This system pumps adrenaline and cortisol whenever we are under threat, that might be a lion or a natural disaster. And when the threat disappears, the stress disappears with it. Now, we are living in a continuous state of fight or flight, we are under constant stress and we barely have time to wind down and relax. (phone, work, emails, social media, and the list goes on and on)
So, looking at all of that, no wonder we need hundreds if not millions of wellness and self-help guides! and it’s no shocker people are confused! that’s a lot to take in. The change from our natural way of living is growing bigger by the year.
Well-being is eating the right food, keeping our beautiful bodies active, staying connected to our core and spending time in nature. It’s shedding the layers of pretentious living we have put on with time and going back to what truly matters, our priorities, our life values and our love – the love we have for ourselves, for the people around us and for that we come in contact with. It’s believing in our intuition and trusting our feelings.
Because as I said before, wellness is not a product, it’s a state of being.
Peace & Love